This versatile, delicious flatbread pizza recipe can be grilled or baked, then topped with anything you like for an easy, customizable appetizer or dinner!
For an easy, simple, and delicious, there’s nothing that can beat this flatbread pizza recipe. It can also double as an appetizer or side for a larger spread, and you can top it with pretty much anything you want. Need to clean out the odds and ends in your fridge? Throw it on a flatbread pizza and dinner is served! Have some beautiful produce to showcase? Make up a flatbread, toss it on top, give it a drizzle of vinegar, oil, or honey, and you’ve got a delicious appetizer that’s bound to impress.
How to Make Flatbread Pizza
- In a mixing bowl, combine the water and yeast, then allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes or until the yeast has dissolved and become foamy.
- Add in the olive oil and white wine then stir in the flour and salt until it’s a cohesive ball of dough.
- Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface. Knead it for about five minutes or until it’s a smooth ball.
- Place it back in the mixing bowl, cover with a clean dishcloth, and set it in a warm, draft free area for about an hour. The dough will be slightly risen and soft, but not doubled. It’s now ready to shape.
How to Shape Flatbread Pizza
- To shape the flatbread dough by hand, gently stretch it, then drape it over the knuckles of one hand and continue stretching it out with the other (like in the picture above). Lay it onto a sheet of floured parchment and use your fingers to continue to press it into the shape, size, and thickness you wish. This method will give you a more rustic shape, and it probably won’t be completely flat. But it’s got lots of little dips and valleys to catch all of the delicious toppings and drizzles!
- Alternatively, you can roll out your flatbread pizza with a rolling pin. Lay the dough on the floured parchment or oiled foil, the press it out roughly into the shape you want it to be. Use a rolling pin to finish rolling it out to the desired size/thickness. If the dough keeps springing back on you, allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes so that the gluten can relax, then finish rolling out. This method will give you a more even flatbread crust. It’s also easier to make it thin if you want a crispier crust.
How to Bake Flatbread Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Bake the flatbread for 10-12 minutes, or until it’s golden brown all over. Remove it from the oven and top with any meats, fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, cheeses, oils, or vinegar you wish.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- The wine in the dough adds a great flavor, but it’s optional. You can use all water if that’s what you have on hand or prefer.
- The dough can be made 2-3 days ahead of time. Keep it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
These flatbread pizzas can also be grilled! Check out this post for directions on grilling flatbread: How to Grill Flatbreads & Pizzas.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy:
- 1 tsp. (4 g) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) lukewarm water, 90°-110°F
- 1/4 cup (2 oz.) dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp. (13 g) olive oil
- 2 cups (280 g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. (6 g) salt
In a mixing bowl, combine the water and yeast, then allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes or until the yeast has dissolved and become foamy.
Add in the olive oil and white wine, then stir in the flour an salt until it’s a cohesive ball of dough. Turn it out on a lightly floured surface, then knead it for about five minutes or until you have a smooth dough.
Place it back in the mixing bowl, cover with a clean dishcloth, and set it in a warm, draft free area for about an hour. The dough will be slightly risen and soft, but not doubled. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
To shape the flatbread dough, gently stretch it, then drape it over the knuckles of one hand. Use the other to gently pull and stretch it into thick disc. Lay it onto a sheet of floured parchment and use your fingers to continue to press it into the shape, size, and thickness you would like.
Bake the flatbread for 10-15 minutes, or until it is golden brown. Remove it from the oven and top it with any meats, fresh fruits and/or vegetables, herbs, cheese, sauces, oils, or vinegars you wish.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes + 1 hour rise time
- Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
- Category: Breads
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Bread
Keywords: flatbread, flatbread pizza