Chai Spice Cookies are buttery, tender, and perfectly spiced. Make the dough ahead for quick baking-just don’t forget to roll the dough in coarse sugar for an added crunch!
I feel like we’ve covered my love for chai before. But these cookies? They’re a combination of that spice love and my obsession with buttery, tender cookies.
These Chai Cookies? They’re a slice and bake recipe that’s buttery, tender, and lightly sweet so that the spices shine through beautifully. Think slightly elevated shortbread, with a bit more of a chewy texture. The recipe is based on a French sablé recipe from Dorie Greenspan in her fabulous book Baking Chez Moi, and believe me, baking with Dorie is a delicious thing.
They also come together quickly and easily–just mix the (simple) dough, roll it into a log in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until your ready to bake. A quick brush with an egg yolk, a roll in some coarse sugar, and you’re ready to slice and bake.
The dough can be made ahead for to bake when you need a plate of cookies, and fast. And while elaborate holiday baking is always fun, sometimes we just need something simple yet still delicious.
Notes on Making Chai Spice Cookies:
- I like to make my own chai spice mix, since the spices used are fairly common to have in your pantry. I like this chai spice mix recipe from Plays Well With Butter, but you can tweak it to your tastes. Some people even add black pepper to their spices, so you can go all kinds of crazy with it!
- You can make the dough ahead of time. It will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days, or in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the fridge before rolling in the sugar, slicing, and baking.
- The baking times are just a guideline. If you want slightly chewy centers, opt for a shorter bake time. If you want them to be really crumbly, give them another minute or two.
- These cookies will keep for up to a week in an airtight container.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase from any links in the post Good Things Baking Co. will receive a small commission at no added cost to you. Thank you for being here, and helping support good recipe to make and eat!
Other Recipes You May Enjoy (click on caption to view):
Chai Spice Cookies are buttery, tender, and perfectly spiced. Make the dough ahead for quick baking-just don’t forget the coarse sugar for an added crunch!
- Category: cookies
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: French, American
Keywords: slice and bake cookies, cookies, fall baking, sable