Sour Cream Blueberry Coffee Cake has a tender, flavorful crumb with blueberries throughout and topped with a layer of cinnamon-flavored crumb topping.
- 3/4 cups (171 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (185 g) sour cream (not fat-free)
- 2 1/4 cups (315 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- 1 cup (140 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 g) white sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, melted and cooled
Begin by greasing a 9×9″ square pan and preheat the oven to 350°.
Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl or a small pan on the stove top. Set it aside to cool.
In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, white and brown sugars, and cinnamon. Add this to the butter and stir with a fork until you have a crumbly, chunky mixture.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until it’s a smooth, fluffy mixture. You can do this by hand, but it will take several minutes. You can also use a handheld electric mixer for faster mixing that’s also less of an arm workout.
Add the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla extract to the creamed butter and sugar and stir them in until the mixture is completely smooth.
In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder to combine them. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir them into the wet ingredients until they’re just combined.
Fold in the blueberries, reserving a few to press into the top of the cake (see the notes for alternative ways of incorporating the blueberries). Put the batter into the oiled 9×9″ baking pan.
Smooth the batter into an even layer, then gently press the remaining blueberries into the top. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the cake.
Place the blueberry coffee cake in the oven on a center rack and bake it for 50-60 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a couple of crumbs on it.