This Strawberry Buttercream Recipe has a beautiful, spring flavor frosting that boasts a naturally vibrant pink color.
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 6–7 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Large pinch of sea salt
Place strawberries and lemon juice in a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until the strawberries have softened. Crush them with a fork and continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes, or until the strawberries have reduced to about half of the original volume. Skim any foam that forms on the top while cooking and discard it. Allow the strawberries to cool completely, then blend them in a blender until smooth.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter for 2-3 minutes, or until it is light and fluffy. Add in 6 cups of the powdered sugar and the pinch of salt, then mix on low until it has all incorporated, scraping the sides of the bowl to make sure all of the butter is being mixed in.
Add the vanilla extract and strawberry reduction a little bit at a time until you have reached the desired flavor and color. If you have added most of it, then frosting may be thin and you may need to add extra powdered sugar for a spreadable consistency.
Spread or pipe onto cakes or cupcakes. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature and whip again if needed before using.
- Always sift the powdered sugar. There are tiny lumps that you may not even see when adding it to the frosting, but they’ll show up in the frosting and mar the finish.
- Beating the butter for a couple of minutes gives you a fluffier, less greasy frosting in the end.
- Cooking down the strawberries may seem like an extra step, but the extra liquid they add could cause your buttercream to “split”, leaving you with a messy, curdled blob of goo. Reduced strawberries will also give you a more intense flavor.
- Category: Cakes & Frostings
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry buttercream, american buttercream