This simple, easy recipe for sourdough muffins is a great way to use your sourdough starter discard and add in any flavors, fruits, or toppings you want!
- 1 stick (1/2 cup/114 grams) softened butter
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup (8 oz.) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (2 oz.) sourdough discard (see notes)
- 2 1/2 cups (306 g) cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1–1 1/2 cups mix-ins (see notes for ideas
Begin by lining your muffin tin with liners, or greasing each cup very well. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
In a mixing bowl, beat together the very soft stick of butter and 1 cup of sugar until well combined. Add the two eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the 1 cup of buttermilk, the 2 tsp. of vanilla extract, and the 1/4 cup of sourdough starter.
In a separate bowl, stir together the 2 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 2 tsp. baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined.
Stir in any mixins you want. Divide the batter into the muffin cups. Bake the muffins for 15-18 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs.
Allow the muffins to cool for a few minutes, then remove them from the muffin pan and let them cool completely.
Store the muffins in an airtight bag or container.
- While I always recommend baking with weight rather than cups, this is especially true if your starter isn’t completely flat. Any extra lift will add volume, and 1/4 cup of active starter will not have as much as a completely flat starter.
- I used Bob’s Red Mill Super Fine Cake Flour. This post/recipe isn’t endorsed by them, just wanted you to know what worked best for me!
Mix In Ideas
- Chocolate chips or chunks
- 2 tsp. poppy seeds & 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 fresh raspberries/1/2 chocolate chunks
- 1 tsp. jam in the center of each muffin
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Breakfast and Brunch
Keywords: sourdough muffins, muffin recipe, blueberry muffins