These Blood Orange Bars are like a classic lemon bar, but pink! These are based on Ina Garten’s lemon bars but adapted for everyone’s (especially Instagram’s!) favorite citrus.
For the Crust:
- 1/2 cup (114 g) soft, unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (50 g) white sugar
- 1 cup (120 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
For the Filling:
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) white sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) blood orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 Tbsp. (1 oz.) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup (60 g) all-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 9″x9″ baking pan with parchment paper.
For the crust, use a hand mixer to cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the flour and salt, and mix in with the mixer on low to avoid a flour explosion. Continue mixing until it begins to come together into a ball.
Press the dough into the line baking dish and bake for 15 minutes. Remove it when the edges are just beginning to turn light golden brown. Remove and let it cool for about 20 minutes.
For the filling, whisk the eggs and sugar together until it is smooth. Add in the juice, then slowly add the flour, mixing it in after every few tablespoons to avoid lumps.
Pour the filling over the crust and return it to the oven for another 20-25 minutes. Keep an eye on it to avoid over-baking, as that will make the bars tough and chewy. Remove them when the filling is set but still has a slight wobble.
Allow them to cool completely, then cut them into squares and dust with powdered sugar.
- If you want a brighter filling, add a drop or two of red food coloring. I avoid food colors when possible, so opted not too for these.
- Really, really don’t over bake them. The filling will be rubbery and gross. Blech.
- Category: Desserts & Sweets
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Classic Desserts
Keywords: Lemon Bars, Citrus Desserts, Blood Orange Bars