Travels // Chattanooga

Since this blog started out as a travel blog (the food came a little later), I thought it would be fun to occasionally share some of our traveling adventures or just have a post that's travel related.  Enjoy!

We have a strange knack for traveling over spring break, entirely unintentionally.  The first year we were married, we tried to fly space available to Costa Rica for our anniversary and instead spent a very disappointing day in the airport, watching flight after oversold flight leave without us.  Last year, we went to Chattanooga for a day, and got stuck underground for over two hours just trying to see Ruby Falls (it wasn't worth it).

This year, we went back to Chattanooga over Saturday night but stayed far, far away from anything that resembled tunnels or caves.  Instead, we walked the Walnut Street bridge, meandered around the downtown shops on Main and Market Streets, and played in the grass at Coolidge Park.

There was a fabulous hill in Coolidge Park (on the opposite side of the freeway bridge, further from the walking bridge).  It was very obviously man-made, but the sides were steep enough to easily roll, or if you had cardboard, slide down.  Lucky for us, some nice people (won't call them litterers) had left some of their box pieces under a rock, so we gave it a try...

And it was a hit!  Prentice even did it by himself.  He didn't get a nap that day, so we weren't sure what to expect, but he handled life fairly rationally. And the upside of a tired baby is that when something strikes them as funny, they think it is hilarious and have a giggle fit.

We at dinner at Taco Mamasita.  I would say it was good, but not really great.  The atmosphere was a little bit dark and loud, but the tacos were tasty and original.  But after dinner came the best part of the day.

This hundred year old carousel lives in Coolidge Park, and it's only a dollar to ride.  I wish we'd had more time, because Prentice loved it and was really into all of the different kinds of animals (they had the horses, but also lions, zebras, elephants, and even an ostrich!).  It was whimsical and old-fashioned, but still genuinely enjoyable and a great kid activity.

Before we headed back to our hotel, we stopped at Clumpies, and the Bops had his first ice cream cone ever.  I'm not sure that makes me a good or bad mom, but it was pretty cute.  And of course, he still tried to eat all of mine.  Though I have to admit, I got the better end of the deal, because I got the homemade waffle cone.  Oh. My. Word.  It was pretty life changing.  I forgot to take a picture, but I may forever shun the carboard grocery versions forever because I don't know how I would ever go back.

 Sunday morning we headed out for a hike at Rainbow Lake.  We've hiked Lookout Mountain in the past, so this was something new and different.  The lake was quite small, more like a pond, but we walked along the river, up the hillside, and came across several waterfalls.  It may not have been spectacular, but we had a great time and a certain small boy stopped often to throw rocks in the water. 

*Cue the picture overload*

By the way, he insisted on wearing the hat.  I'm not sure how I got lucky enough to have a kid who likes them, but he thinks they're pretty much the best thing ever and more importantly actually keeps them on his head.

THIS PICTURE! Ugh.  It was totally one of those Mom moments, where it kind of hit me that he's growing up.  Micah and Prentice were ahead of me  because I had stopped for a scenery picture, and I came around a rock and there was my kid.  My tiny human was just sitting, gazing into the water and contemplating life and it hit me that he's basically an adult now.  A fabulous, funny adult, who just has to learn full sentences and still takes naps. But once those are under his belt, look out world.

Of course Da-da was right there to hand him more rocks to chuck into the water.  That's totally an adult activity too, no?